Silk Routes Online Platforms
1. Silk Routes Training Platform
The Online Training Platform is the online hub for accessing digital and distance learning courses and related training material on migration topics tailor-made for migration, law enforcement, social and labour authorities and border management agencies across the countries of the Silk Routes Region.
The Online Training Platform is a single point of access for:
- Participating in pre-scheduled distance learning courses, including live tutorials, e-learning courses and assessment and evaluation activities
- Essential reading on various migration topics
The training courses are intended to support government officials in operational and managerial positions across all Silk Routes countries acquire and advance knowledge, skills and operational capacity across all domains of migration policy and migration management, including:
- Legal and Labour migration
- Trafficking in Human Beings, Smuggling of Migrants and Irregular Migration
- Integrated Border Management
2. Silk Routes Modules
The Silk Routes Online Modules are for migrants and migrant workers from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Iraq, Tajikistan and Pakistan.
These various modules are for migrants and migrant workers and were prepared by the International Centre for Migration Policy Development (ICMPD) as part of the project “Improving Migration Management in the Silk Routes Countries” supported by the European Union. It provides migrants with the information they need and to help them make a well-informed decision about working abroad as well as on how to cope with new living and working conditions abroad.
The modules are in three parts dealing with three major stages or cycle of migration, especially labour migration:
- pre-migration or pre-employment or while a person is in the process of knowing more about his/her options in the origin country and preparing or deciding to live or work or overseas, herein referred to as PEOS for brevity
- pre-departure where the migrant workers are about to depart for work abroad, having complied with the general requirements such as getting their passport stamped by the government (for Pakistan) or having SMART card issued (for Bangladesh), herein referred to as PDOS, and;
- post-arrival where migrant workers start to adjust to new working and living conditions in the job site or country of destination, herein referred to as PAOS.
The three modules are available for Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan in their respective national languages (Dari, Bengali and Urdu). For Tajikistan – two modules – pre-employment and pre-departure are available in Russian and Tajik languages. For Iraq, being a destination country of migrant workers, only the post-arrival module is available in Arabic.
In these modules, migrants will find information about factors to consider in deciding to seek employment overseas; how and why to take into consideration your family; advice on how to select a destination country or a recruitment agency; “dos and don’ts” on overseas works; the safe, regular and orderly migration; and the risks or dangers and consequences of irregular migration, illegal recruitment, trafficking of human beings, smuggling of people, and related issues and challenges. A special section is covering the particularities of domestic care, high skilled workers, and women in the migration process.
They also provide useful advice about all aspects of life and work abroad, and covering issues related to employment, permits, visa, accommodation and food, communication and financial services, health care and social insurance, laws and regulations, government services, support networks, and other subjects.
This modules are an evolving information that will be expanded or updated regularly when new information, policy, programmes or services are available as relevant to Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Iraq, Tajikistan and Pakistan. All information within this modules is accurate at the time of publication but may be subject to change.